Removals to Europe, UK and Overseas Moving Service
currencies direct
For further information on the currencies direct service please click here...
detailed quote
To get a FREE detailed quote of your move click the button below and fill out our online Contents of House form. detailed quote
view our brochure

have a look at our
new comprehensive
online brochure

0800 246 5622

Removals to Europe, UK and Overseas Moving Service

Removals to France: Importing Cars and Other Vehicles

Hamiltons European Removal Department can assist you with moving your vehicle to France. We can provide removal quotes for a range of vehicles including cars, motorbikes, boats, farm machinery, jet skis and quad bikes.

Removals to France – contact us now to discuss your requirements.

When moving to France for stays of longer than six months, you will need to register your vehicle with the French authorities. Our guide below provides basic information on how to do this. Please note that information is correct at time of publishing but may change at any time.

Importing your car to France in seven easy steps

Step one

The first thing you will need to do is contact your car manufacturer and ask for a certificate of conformity. They will require a copy of your vehicle registration document (V5c form) and there will be a small cost involved.

Step two

Next you need to prepare your car for driving in France. Click here to read our guide to driving in France, and the changes you need to make to adjust your car for driving on the right hand side of the road.

Step three

On arrival in France, find a local garage and book your car in for a ‘contrôle techniques’. This is the French equivalent to an MOT.  On completion of this you will receive a document/certificate listing any recommendations for repair that are required. Documents you will need to take include your certificate of conformity, proof of address and proof of your identity.

Step Four

Go to the Hotel/Centre des Impôts and fill in your tax form. This can usually be done without appointment. You will need to take with you your V5C form, proof of your identity, your receipt of purchase and the certificate of conformity. After copying your documentation, you will be issued with a ‘quitus fiscal’. 

Step Five

You now need to take the following documentation with you to the prefecture to obtain your certificate d’immatriculation – also known as the carte grise:
certificate of conformity, quitus fiscal, contrôle technique certificate, proof of your identity and proof of your address. Payment for the Carte grise is around 90 Euros and will be issued immediately. This will give you new registration plate numbers for your car.

Step Six

Take the plates along with your Carte grise to a local garage for fitting. Then get your registration plate information updated. This can be done at the garage where you received your contrôle technique or French MOT. Documents you need to take are your Carte grise and contrôle technique certificate.

Step Seven

Finally send the section 11 of your V5C form to the DVLA in Swansea.

Removals to France – contact us now to discuss your move.